Very few companies in the oil and gas industry are on social media, even less are active on it. This is a missed opportunity for the industry as a whole, but a big opportunity for those early adopters. You’re probably asking yourself, “Where’s the ROI for our oil and gas company on social media?”. Like just about every business, you’re in business to make money. What social media will do is help keep the machine moving and oiled. Here’s how:
- Being a part of the conversation – Even if that conversation is negative, it’s better that you are a part of it and know what’s being said about you. This may include fixing the facts and educating those who are misinformed. This can be done with the help of monitoring software.
- Recruiting – If you are highlighting your progress on interesting projects and technologies, you’ll start to attract the talent that wants to work on the projects that will advance their career. This is also a great way to promote the job openings you do have available.
- Pride/Moral – You and your employees are proud of the work you’ve done and by showcasing it, it brings pride into the workplace knowing your team has done something to be proud of.
- Event participation – Next time you’re at a conference, take note of what the audience is doing. It’s likely most are on their smart phone, laptop or tablet while the speaker is on and participating in the conversation using something like a Twitter hashtag.
- Education – There is a lot of misinformation out there by large groups who are on social media. This gives you a platform to dispel those myths and educate your followers on some of the environmental initiatives you do.
- Crisis Communication – Did a pipeline burst? Was there a large oil spill created by your company? Maybe it wasn’t even your company that created the crisis but you’re being accused of it? No one wants a crisis to happen but when it does, having your own social media platform will allow you to tell the story rather than have someone else tell it for you.
- Branding – This is how people perceive your business and their experience with your business. This experience can often be shaped more by what you stand for such as your vision and values, than solely by the services or products you provide. Social Media allows you to offer the tone of voice you want people to see you as such as positive, upbeat, charitable or environmental champion.
- Value – Unlike other advertising mediums such as TV, radio and newspapers, after you gain a follower there is a very high percentage that you will still retain that follower a few years from now allowing you to still speak your message at no additional cost. Social Media advertising also allows you to target based on certain demographics more than any other medium.
- Communication to your shareholders – You can be more than just a name on a piece of paper to your shareholders and stockholders. Are you announcing a big project or higher than expected returns? Getting that message out to the right people can send your stock prices soaring.
- Public Relations - Many large projects are dependent on government approval. A government that in most countries is elected by the people. This gives you a platform to address the public and let them know about the benefits your project will bring such as economic windfall, higher employment rate, etc.
Viral In Nature Inc. is an award winning Social Media, Reputation Management and Web Development Agency located in Calgary, Alberta. Give us a call at 1.844.403.BUZZ.
There is no form with this name or may be the form is unpublished, Please check the form and the url and the form management.